Monday, November 21, 2011

30 days of gratitude - day 21

I am thankful for my job.

Exactly three years ago today I was hired. Three years and 3 weeks ago we moved to Washington. If you do the math, you'll find that it only took me 3 weeks to find my job. This was right when the economy was crashing, companies were going under, and thousands of people were losing their jobs.

Granted, my job isn't exactly the type of job with a cushy salary and nice hours. 

I work with adolescents who have cognitive and behavioral challenges who live in a group home. You could call me a support staff, I suppose. I help administer meds, try and redirect maladaptive behaviors (sometimes successfully, other times not so much...), cook meals, clean, go out into the community, and whatever else the kids need. It's 24 hours care, so it'd be rare to go a week without getting called into work, or having to switch shifts, or staying late, or coming early, or work doubles (16hrs). And since the kids are in school 9 months out of the year, I'd typically work evenings ... in other words, I had no social life. Sometimes I'd get hit, kicked, bit, cursed at, or have my hair pulled. Sometimes I would be so emotionally drained that my only response was to cry. (Not a good idea, by the way).

But, I'd do it all again.

Why? Because of one neat chick who I got to meet three years ago.

Even though this one gal made me earn her trust, (see above for details), I've gotten to form the coolest relationship with her. And she has made the hugest impact on my life. No doubt have I benefited more than she has from our time together, though I'd like to think otherwise.

I'm only working one day a week because of school, but getting to see her is almost always a highlight of my week.

I wish I could post a picture of her beautiful face and tell you all sorts of fun stories, but I don't want to jeopardize my job. So you'll just have to trust me. She's pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment