Monday, November 14, 2011

30 days of gratitude - day 14

I am thankful for my sister, Rachel.


The girl texted me this morning and told me she got a 99.5 on her English paper. To say I'm proud of her is an understatement. 

Rachel is one of the brightest people I know. She's also one of the most bull-headed and stubborn people I know. If she thinks something is pointless (say, most of high school) she won't give it the time of day. 

Last year Rachel chose to live with me and TJ. She stayed with us for 6 months. When she moved in with us, I was so excited, but a little nervous. Let's just say Rach and I didn't get along all that well growing up. It wasn't until right before TJ and I got married that we started having conversations and connecting. 

That short time Rachel lived with us wasn't always sunshine and rainbows, but overall it was good for our sisterly relationship. I got to see a side of Rach I didn't know existed. And she got to experience something resembling independence. And we had plenty of hilarious adventures.  She's got a fantastic sense of humor and great taste in t.v. shows and movies. 

The main reason she chose to move home was to pursue school. She applied, got accepted, but then had to face some frustrations during the process. She was very close to giving up on the idea of school, but she stuck with it. 

And today she aced her English paper. 

I have a lot to learn from Rachel. She has a giant heart for people. Especially for the unloved, unwanted, and cast aside. She stands up for people, even if it means risking her own reputation. She's outspoken, passionate, and won't back down.

She's using her powers for good. 

She will make an excellent social worker someday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment