Sunday, June 26, 2011

wait...what?

That is how I felt yesterday late afternoon.

When I found out I had been accepted to grad school, I immediately gave my employer my school schedule. It was fairly simple. Saturday swing shift. One day a week.

Yesterday was Saturday (obviously). I had been at work for almost 2 hours when I decided to take a look at next week's schedule. You can imagine my horror when I discovered that I had been scheduled to work Sunday morning. The next day. At 6am.

wait...what?

I don't know about you, but I do not handle change very well...especially when it comes to my schedule. It throws me off big time and usually the end result is not pretty.

This time was no different.

I was lucky enough that the person working grave offered to stay until 7:30am for me. But even despite that kind gesture and an extra hour of sleep, I just could not reclaim today. Here I am, 10:30 at night, reflecting on my completely "wasted" day. I wish I could do it over again.

Instead of homework I...

  • went to the gym. Something I have neglected to do all week
  • went grocery shopping. We've been out of bread for 3 days. 
  • listened to This American Life podcast. I'm an NPR nerd.
  • cooked dinner. Another thing I haven't done all week.
  • cleaned the kitchen. TJ's been wonderfully doing dishes all week long and he deserved a break.
All of these things are good things, but I got them done at the expense of my homework. 

I know it's my fault for not using my time well after work this afternoon, but gosh darnit, I'm going to blame my work for this one.  Unfortunately, choosing to blame work instead of myself doesn't do me any good. I've got 30 pages to read (and understand) and 200 note cards to make (and then find time to study).

Now all I can think about is if this is going to happen again. Am I going to show up to work next Saturday only to discover that I'm scheduled on Sunday? Or maybe Monday since it's a holiday and my boss will assume I can work since I don't have school. My life is fairly chaotic right now, and I'm not sure I can handle anymore work "surprises".

Thanks for letting me vent, blog land. Not sure if anyone is listening, but either way, I appreciate the outlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment