Tuesday, May 17, 2011

fruits and veggies

I'm in day 5 of a week long fruit and veggie cleanse.

I have been thinking about doing something like this for months now. I have researched different kinds of detox diets and I knew I wouldn't be ready for anything like the Master Cleanse. I had been leaning toward a green food only detox, when last week I talked to a friend who had just done a fruit and veggie cleanse. Essentially, for 7 days you can eat as many fruits and veggies as your heart desires, but only fruits and veggies. It sounded much more doable, so a few days later I gave it a go.

Here's what I discovered.

If I was given the choice between dying and eating something I hate, say... mayo or seafood, I would probably die.

I don't eat for survival, I eat for pleasure.

I always kind of assumed I had an unhealthy attachment to food, but this solidified it. Almost all 4 nights I've gone to bed hungry, because I just can't seem to get myself to choke down anymore cauliflower or spinach. Typically, I have no problem eating my fruits and vegetables, but when it's the only thing I can eat it loses its appeal very quickly.

I'm not sure what to do with this realization. I'm not necessarily content in this, but for now I guess I'll just hope that I'm never in a "eat this or die" situation.

One thing that I have loved about the cleanse is my fruit smoothies for breakfast. My favorite part of the day. This morning I threw together a smoothie with strawberries, peaches, and a mango, and it was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment